ROMNation Community Forums
Register Calendar Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

ROMNation Community Forums » ROMNation.NET » Console Gaming and Emulation » What's the deal with the 7z format?? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What's the deal with the 7z format??  
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Paladin Knight $posts[username] is a male

Registration Date: 12-18-2007

What's the deal with the 7z format?? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Why are so many ROMs in that dang 7z format nowadays? It's very frustrating because I have *never* gotten ROMs in that format to work. I tried downloading that 7zip program to unzip them with, but when I unzip them, instead of containing the ROM file like with WinZip files, it's just got a bunch of weird files inside them. I really don't understand it and it's very, *very* irritating that so many ROMs are put in this format now, and I really don't see the point in it because I've never ever had a problem with the WinZip ROMs. I don't see why things on computers and the Internet constantly have to be changed like this. I mean, if it ain't broke, don't try to [beep] fix it. Jees...

Does anyone know of any sites that have good selections of ROMs where I can download them in *WinZip* format? Those seem to be very hard to find nowadays. If anyone knows any good sites like that, *please* tell me.
12-19-2007 05:56 Paladin Knight is offline Send an Email to Paladin Knight Search for Posts by Paladin Knight Add Paladin Knight to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Paladin Knight: paladin_knight_999
Bardock36 $posts[username] is a male

Registration Date: 02-16-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Same here i cant seem to get the 7zip stuff to work properly.
12-19-2007 06:57 Bardock36 is offline Send an Email to Bardock36 Search for Posts by Bardock36 Add Bardock36 to your Buddy List
jpcline004 $posts[username] is a male
Codename: Sgt. Riggs

images/avatars/avatar-1934.jpg

Registration Date: 09-24-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

keep in mind these games are free so quit your you know whattin'

Unzip the seven zip roms with win rar into a folder. Using your favorite console emulator open the good dump of the rom (see this thread to know which one What all the [!] [U] codes mean)

With MESS and everything, some people want every dump of a game and they are all given in one seven zip package. If you want, just keep all of your good dumps in one folder for direct access later.

12-20-2007 01:12 jpcline004 is offline Homepage of jpcline004 Search for Posts by jpcline004 Add jpcline004 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of jpcline004: jpcline004
bulldogg52881 $posts[username] is a male

Registration Date: 01-06-2008

I'll explain it better ( no offense ) some people speak japanese, some people speak english, and some can do both, yet why do you ask they do that? beats me.

When you unzip the file you might have say....Karate killer 3 (u).smc
Karate killer 3 (j).smc

U of course is the united states version, put that in a folder you use.
J is the japanese version Trash it or whatever if you dont speak it.
When you open the emulator look for the folder that has the U version in it. Click on it and the game should start right up.
If in the folder there is only J it is only in japanese.
E is europe version.
If It says something like Karate Killer 3 (J). (T-English by dejap ).smc. that means a good hackin translator translated a game for you that didnt originally come out in the usa. Try tales of Phantasia for the snes. I DARE YAH!
I find it good after i play a quick game i can go back and play the japanes version. I now know how to read japanes in english! just cant speak it! LOL
01-06-2008 13:08 bulldogg52881 is offline Send an Email to bulldogg52881 Homepage of bulldogg52881 Search for Posts by bulldogg52881 Add bulldogg52881 to your Buddy List
Paladin Knight $posts[username] is a male

Registration Date: 12-18-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by $thread[starter]

Ah, okay. So you're saying the 7zip files usually do actually contain the original US version of the games I'm looking for but that those other files are tons of other versions of the game, meaning I have to search through them and find the one correct one, right?
01-06-2008 22:49 Paladin Knight is offline Send an Email to Paladin Knight Search for Posts by Paladin Knight Add Paladin Knight to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Paladin Knight: paladin_knight_999

Yeah,
I have Found out that U(!) is the best cause it means a good dump of a US version so thats what you will want. Except when it comes down to the fact it dont have a US version ( Certain ESA protected games you can get from other web sites BUT.......there in say german.) Which also by the way if its ESA protected here dont DL it cause ya need to support Nintendo so it can make more Wii's so i can get my grubby mits on one someday...............And By the way i have completed my ROM collection! over 1000 games and i got shitty dial up cause i live in the middle of nowhere and we dont even get cable here yet.............Cant w8 to get diablo for the psx emu! Spring Time Baby!
( that when big cable comes to town and i can fork out the bucks for broadband)
01-08-2008 12:59 bulldogg52881 is offline Send an Email to bulldogg52881 Homepage of bulldogg52881 Search for Posts by bulldogg52881 Add bulldogg52881 to your Buddy List
ToxiMoron $posts[username] is a male
d)

Registration Date: 06-29-2006

Another good way to clear up the 7-zip mess is to take all the files, create a new .zip file (or WinRAR archive, whichever your computer has), drag all the files you got from the extracted 7-zip into the new compressed folder, and put it in your SNES emulator's ROM section.
The only problem with this method is knowing in advance what to name the new folder you've assembled before you drag the files into it so SNES9X or ZSNES will recognize the ROM. Take my translated version of Tales Of Phantasia, for instance--
Tales Of Phantasia (J) [T-Eng1 (1).2 Dejap].zip
Of course, not all of them have all that crap. But if a game starts with the word "the" it's got to be named: "Lion King, The"
Hope this all makes sense!

01-08-2008 13:43 ToxiMoron is offline Search for Posts by ToxiMoron Add ToxiMoron to your Buddy List

If you have Znes which i do i found out that i can just open it from the file location and put the rom in the same file location as the emu and just load it from the emu load screen. otherwise its all pretty customizable you can just do what ever fits yer style.
01-08-2008 15:08 bulldogg52881 is offline Send an Email to bulldogg52881 Homepage of bulldogg52881 Search for Posts by bulldogg52881 Add bulldogg52881 to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
ROMNation Community Forums » ROMNation.NET » Console Gaming and Emulation » What's the deal with the 7z format??