ROMNation Community Forums
Register Calendar Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

ROMNation Community Forums » ROMNation.NET » Support » CPS 3 Tutorial - Street Fighter III/ Warzard Fool Proof Set Up » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page CPS 3 Tutorial - Street Fighter III/ Warzard Fool Proof Set Up  
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jpcline004 $posts[username] is a male
Codename: Sgt. Riggs

images/avatars/avatar-1934.jpg

Registration Date: 09-24-2007

CPS 3 Tutorial - Street Fighter III/ Warzard Fool Proof Set Up Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm sure it was even worse when it was initially decrypted, but we have been getting a few SFIII questions lately. I know there are already two SFIII stickies in the arcade forum, but it seems like some people still have problems getting started. I figured I what put together this tutorial just to have it all in one place.

The following is the most straightforward, fast and full-proof way to play Street Fighter III, Warzard or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on your PC.

Step 1) Download the CPS-3 emulator v1.0a (most up to date as of 10/7) provided by the good folks at Nebula.

http://nebula.emulatronia.com/

Step 2) Extract the zip file into a directory (folder) and create a folder inside that directory and name it "ROMs".

Step 3) From the CPS-3 Emulator files you unzipped, open the "Configuration Settings".

A notepad type file will open. Delete the ";" in front of the directories as shown below:

After you delete that, copy and paste the directory of the "ROMs" folder you created earlier onto that line, (i.e. Dir1=C:\Documents and Settings\...cps3emulator\Roms) Refer to the image to see what I mean. This will allow the emulator to know where to find the ROMs you are about to download.

Step 4) Download the ROMs from Romhustler.net or right here at ROMNation.net. Save the files to the "ROMs" folder you just created. With this emulator you do not need the .CHD files.

http://romhustler.net/roms/mame/s
http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/mame103/s.html

Step 5) *IMPORTANT* if you want to play SFIII - 3rd Strike with this emulator, you will also need to download the file sf33usa.bin for it to work:

http://rapidshare.com/files/40141863/sf33usa.bin.html

**send me a PM if this link dies**

Once you have downloaded that, add it to the zipped sfiii3.zip rom. Depending on the zip program you have, you can either just drag and drop it to the zip file, or you can unzip the folder, add it and rezip it. Either way, at the end of the day the ROM must be zipped for it to play.

Step 6) You are now ready to play. Click on the CPS3 emulator and click Emulator/Load Rom and pick from the ROMs at the top of the listing:

Step 7) To configure your controller or keyboard, load a rom, and click Game/Configure Controllers. You will need to configure for each game.

This should get you up and running pretty quick. Let me know if you have any snags or if you need further clarification.

-JP

One more thing:
YES, CPS-3 is playable in MAME, but let me reiterate that this is the most straightforward, fast and full-proof method. As far as I know, MAME still requires the .CHD files which are harder to find online and seem to confuse newbies a lot. If you want to use MAME to play online check out this thread:
Street Fighter 3 Third STrike Tut( For Mame netplay and Nebula test emu)

This post has been edited $posts[editcount] time(s), it was last edited by $posts[editor] on 10-26-2007 12:20.

10-08-2007 02:41 jpcline004 is offline Homepage of jpcline004 Search for Posts by jpcline004 Add jpcline004 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of jpcline004: jpcline004
ToxiMoron $posts[username] is a male
d)

Registration Date: 06-29-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Good guide...I've tried running this emulator several times and keep getting this message:
Unable to find appropriate zbuffer format
Unable to initialize video subsystem

This problem has been posted at Elsemi's site by me and a few other people, and no one's been able to address it. I was just wondering if you had any ideas.
Oh, and I've already updated DirectX and my display has been set for 32 bit true color since I set up my CPU, so those aren't the problems. Wink

This post has been edited $posts[editcount] time(s), it was last edited by $posts[editor] on 10-08-2007 14:30.

10-08-2007 14:27 ToxiMoron is offline Search for Posts by ToxiMoron Add ToxiMoron to your Buddy List
jpcline004 $posts[username] is a male
Codename: Sgt. Riggs

images/avatars/avatar-1934.jpg

Registration Date: 09-24-2007

Thread Starter Thread Started by $thread[starter]
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hmmm...not sure if this will do the trick, but have you tried messing around with the settings in the configuration file? There is one that looks like it might be worth trying.

ForceManaged=0 ;Forces the DX driver to use Managed textures instead of Dynamic. Use it if the emulator
;crashes after loading or doesn't show anything

Change the 0 to a 1 (I'm sure you know that part...) and see if it helps.

I am guessing you already tried googling zbuffer. But I found this:
http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/z_buffer.html

I'm not sure if your PC uses Direct3D but it shows how to set up and configure the zbuffer.

This post has been edited $posts[editcount] time(s), it was last edited by $posts[editor] on 10-08-2007 22:14.

10-08-2007 14:58 jpcline004 is offline Homepage of jpcline004 Search for Posts by jpcline004 Add jpcline004 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of jpcline004: jpcline004
Tootall $posts[username] is a male
THIS SITE IS DEAD TO ME NOW

Registration Date: 01-06-2004

Your wish has been granted.
10-08-2007 23:59 Tootall is offline Send an Email to Tootall Search for Posts by Tootall Add Tootall to your Buddy List
ToxiMoron $posts[username] is a male
d)

Registration Date: 06-29-2006

quote:
Originally posted by jpcline004 I'm not sure if your PC uses Direct3D but it shows how to set up and configure the zbuffer.

Nope, no Direct 3D, I always have to use Direct Draw for MAME.
Thanks for your help, this question has finally been answered on Elsemi's website. It has something to do with having the wrong/outdated graphics card. In my case, I'm not surprised (older computer).

10-10-2007 15:43 ToxiMoron is offline Search for Posts by ToxiMoron Add ToxiMoron to your Buddy List
sinoy1

Registration Date: 12-03-2007

Hmm Ive searched around and googled quite possibly for 2 days straight and just when I think I have the rom working I get :

D3dFMT 22 Depth 80
Unable to Initialize subsystem

What in God's blue earth does that mean?

Yes Ive got the Bin ive tried the CHD ( although its come to my wonderful surprise its not needed for the CPS3 Emulator ) only to go back redownload everything and start from scratch and follow the steps and still...I get this pop up when loading the game.

Any help or suggestions?I hope I didnt do anything stupid ( Its most likely that I did though Tongue ).

This post has been edited $posts[editcount] time(s), it was last edited by $posts[editor] on 12-03-2007 17:39.

12-03-2007 17:38 sinoy1 is offline Send an Email to sinoy1 Search for Posts by sinoy1 Add sinoy1 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for sinoy1
Malek-IK $posts[username] is a male
b)

images/avatars/avatar-1921.jpg

Registration Date: 08-26-2003

the only thing i can say for sure is that it is a graphic problem.

i saw the same question some time ago on another board but they had no response.....

maybe you have to learn spanish (?)...
spanish forum that deals with this problem

or chinese :/
http://www.ppx.cn/viewthread.php?tid=476608

sorry that i can´t do more atm.

12-04-2007 01:08 Malek-IK is offline Send an Email to Malek-IK Search for Posts by Malek-IK Add Malek-IK to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
ROMNation Community Forums » ROMNation.NET » Support » CPS 3 Tutorial - Street Fighter III/ Warzard Fool Proof Set Up