ROMNation Community Forums
Register Calendar Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

ROMNation Community Forums » All Guitar Tabs » Guitar Talk » i think im getting bored of guitar. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page i think im getting bored of guitar.  
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
koth
a)

images/avatars/avatar-941.jpg

Registration Date: 12-20-2004

Mad i think im getting bored of guitar. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

damn, i just got into music college and i practise real hard, at least 5 hours a day. but i seems like im in the point i cant get better anymore. Mad

but, well, im not giving up on guitar, never. i think just want to let it out and hope someone listen.

04-10-2005 08:53 koth is offline Send an Email to koth Search for Posts by koth Add koth to your Buddy List
captain_pants $posts[username] is a male
a)

images/avatars/avatar-1428.gif

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The reason you'll be pissed off is because your doing it because sometimes you HAVE to. Its like anything, when i was a kid i used to think that pro skaters had the best job in the world until you realise that sometimes they'd rather stay in and watch rugrats but they have to go out and skate.

The reason i love guitar is because i only do it when i feel like it. the other guys in my band are also in other bands so this is kind of like a side project, so we dont play as often as the others. which suits me fine!

"I wanna see you take the jackpot at fruit machine, then put it all back in. You've got to understand that you can never beat the bandit no"
04-10-2005 09:13 captain_pants is offline Send an Email to captain_pants Search for Posts by captain_pants Add captain_pants to your Buddy List
koth
a)

Thread Starter Thread Started by $thread[starter]
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i guess you re right.

i just talked to my friends about this and they said i should skip some class, take a brake. im supposed to play when i feel like it.
eee...i miss that time in high school when i just played guitar for fun.

so... by this time i'll play some video games. Roll Eyes

04-11-2005 11:18 koth is offline Send an Email to koth Search for Posts by koth Add koth to your Buddy List
captain_pants $posts[username] is a male
a)

images/avatars/avatar-1428.gif

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

at college do you play music that interests you? thats the worst thing! For a while a band i used to practice with decided they wanted to play loads of crap like rage against the machine and incubus. i dont like either of them but i used to sing them at band practice and i got to the point that i was almost depressed about it.

"I wanna see you take the jackpot at fruit machine, then put it all back in. You've got to understand that you can never beat the bandit no"
04-11-2005 12:16 captain_pants is offline Send an Email to captain_pants Search for Posts by captain_pants Add captain_pants to your Buddy List
koth
a)

quote:
Originally posted by captain_pants
at college do you play music that interests you? thats the worst thing! For a while a band i used to practice with decided they wanted to play loads of crap like rage against the machine and incubus. i dont like either of them but i used to sing them at band practice and i got to the point that i was almost depressed about it.

ofcourse!!! i paid lots of money to go to that college. why would i study music i dont like. thats stupid.

but you know, sometimes even when im doing things i like, im not so happy. maybe it is because im afraid of other people ... umm.. i dont know too. coz my friends are really good, in high school i was the best guitarist there but here im like nothing.
but i wont give up. Mad

well, actually things are getting better now. im staying home, practise only 1 or 2 hours a day. i feel like im improving even faster than when i practise 4-5 hours. weird. i'll be studying in college next month.

yup. i wont give up.

04-12-2005 11:35 koth is offline Send an Email to koth Search for Posts by koth Add koth to your Buddy List
chronowarp $posts[username] is a male

images/avatars/avatar-945.jpg

Registration Date: 04-13-2005

Im guessing you're not that good anyway.

SO I suggest you cram 900 scale positions into your head. That should keep you occupied for a while.

Music theory is good for you.

04-13-2005 18:00 chronowarp is offline Send an Email to chronowarp Search for Posts by chronowarp Add chronowarp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chronowarp: vexedunderdog View the MSN Profile for chronowarp
koth
a)

oui, im good, you know.
but not good enough to ignore your post with self-esteem.

how nice of you coming with something for me to do. even its just a joke but .. 900 scales... i'll try...

and music theory is for those musicians with out ears to listen.

04-14-2005 03:33 koth is offline Send an Email to koth Search for Posts by koth Add koth to your Buddy List

Haha.

Ok I love shooting this kind of crap down.

Yes, go learn 900 scale positions. Major, natural minor, Pentatonic minor, Pentatonic major, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Jazz Meldiac, Lydian Flat 7b, Blues, Harmonic minor, Wholetone

5 positions per scale, 12 notes. Good times.

quote:
and music theory is for those musicians with out ears to listen.

Wrong. Music theory is for serious musicians. Saying that you play by ear and that you play what sounds good with pure ignorance is being just that, ignorant.

Modal theory, Chord construction, all of that is important. It has nothing to do with not having an ear for the music. It's an aid.

Could you determine the key of a song after hearing the progression once? Just curious. I'd hate to think I'd underestimating you.

04-14-2005 06:37 chronowarp is offline Send an Email to chronowarp Search for Posts by chronowarp Add chronowarp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chronowarp: vexedunderdog View the MSN Profile for chronowarp
koth
a)

meh, i've studied everything you memtioned and some mode like locrian, i never use it in real life. modal theory is more like a guide line on how you improvise, you still need to use your ears anyway, its music for god's sake, not maths.

quote:
Could you determine the key of a song after hearing the progression once? Just curious. I'd hate to think I'd underestimating you.

sometimes, actually not so often. depends on the song. for a complex jazz song, i need to sit in front of my stereo all day.

dont judge me from the way i sound. who knows. maybe im better than you, maybe not.

oo... how ignorant.

off topic: is that you on your avatar? you re lefthanded?

04-14-2005 11:51 koth is offline Send an Email to koth Search for Posts by koth Add koth to your Buddy List

Modes aren't a key for improvising they're the key of a song, the major and minor scales are modes.

Modes are important, and dictate the FEELING you'll portay when soloing. You should never deny knowledge that is available, it's stupid. I learn everything I can, it doesn't matter if I'll ever use it or not. It's just better to know than to not.

And I doubt you're better than me. It may sound cocky, meh, I'm a good player.

Yes that's me, but that photo is mirrored, because I took it with my webcam. It mirrors images for some reason.

04-14-2005 17:34 chronowarp is offline Send an Email to chronowarp Search for Posts by chronowarp Add chronowarp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chronowarp: vexedunderdog View the MSN Profile for chronowarp
koth
a)

quote:
Modes aren't a key for improvising they're the key of a song, the major and minor scales are modes.

ok ok, you re right.

quote:
Modes are important, and dictate the FEELING you'll portay when soloing. You should never deny knowledge that is available, it's stupid. I learn everything I can, it doesn't matter if I'll ever use it or not. It's just better to know than to not.

why do you think im that kind of person. i never deny knowledge and stuff. that s why i go to music college.

quote:
And I doubt you're better than me. It may sound cocky, meh, I'm a good player.

exactly. that s my point. who knows who is better, its a forum, in internet. i'd never know how good you re until i actually hear you play.
how can someone know how good i am from the way i talk. thats stupid

quote:
Yes that's me, but that photo is mirrored, because I took it with my webcam. It mirrors images for some reason.

oh, you re not left handed. i always thought that lefties are annoying.
you really arent a lefty?

04-15-2005 04:03 koth is offline Send an Email to koth Search for Posts by koth Add koth to your Buddy List

I think you're that kind of person, because you basically said modes were useless, and you didn't knowledge because you could 'hear'.

If you want to hear some clips of me playing I'd gladly give you links. It's quite easy to judge how good someone is by talking to them. Technique, knowledge, and playing ability usually go hand in hand.

I don't care what you do or where you go it doesn't necessarly make you a better player. I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm just being realistic.

04-15-2005 04:07 chronowarp is offline Send an Email to chronowarp Search for Posts by chronowarp Add chronowarp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chronowarp: vexedunderdog View the MSN Profile for chronowarp
koth
a)

modes really are useless if you can 'hear'. im not saying i can, i still need to look up the scales. but i know many people can actually do that.

yes, i'd love to hear your clips.
well, at this point i think you re better than me. i dont have any clips to give you. actually i wouldnt dare give it to you.

and yes, college isnt necessary but you said it yourself here:
quote:
You should never deny knowledge that is available, it's stupid. I learn everything I can, it doesn't matter if I'll ever use it or not. It's just better to know than to not.

04-15-2005 04:33 koth is offline Send an Email to koth Search for Posts by koth Add koth to your Buddy List

No modes are NOT useless. Scales are NOT useless. Nothing is useless in music. It all has a purpose and a time of use.

Yes, I'm glad you're going to college, but you're contradicting yourself when you say modes are useless, and you're trying to absorb as much knowledge as you can.

Let's solve this through PM. I'll send you the links.

04-15-2005 04:36 chronowarp is offline Send an Email to chronowarp Search for Posts by chronowarp Add chronowarp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chronowarp: vexedunderdog View the MSN Profile for chronowarp
Anti Bluz $posts[username] is a male
c)

images/avatars/avatar-810.gif

Registration Date: 08-26-2003

wOw chronowarp, do you play guitar???? Confused
05-02-2005 18:19 Anti Bluz is offline Send an Email to Anti Bluz Search for Posts by Anti Bluz Add Anti Bluz to your Buddy List

What a dumb question.

05-03-2005 00:33 chronowarp is offline Send an Email to chronowarp Search for Posts by chronowarp Add chronowarp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chronowarp: vexedunderdog View the MSN Profile for chronowarp
Micky3210

Registration Date: 05-21-2005

whack your head against the wall a few times until you realize you're just a dumbass.
05-21-2005 22:08 Micky3210 is offline Send an Email to Micky3210 Search for Posts by Micky3210 Add Micky3210 to your Buddy List
Jaydo $posts[username] is a male

Registration Date: 07-30-2005

Set aside the arguement.. talking about the first post..

You feel as though you keep practicing, and playing etc... and you never seem to make any progress..

For the bast few years my general tend in playing will be, play play play play play play play, for about 6-10 months at a time, and make no change in the way I play.. then suddenly, one day, I'll hit a hot note, and BAM total epiphanal experience. It's like I spent the past year, preparing myself for that day. Maybe that's how it's gonna be for you, you never know.

and if I sound like I did way too many hits of acid before writing this, I'd like to let you know it's 4 in the morning, and I am very very sleepy... weehah.

good luck to you Koth,

and yeah, Music Theory is GOD.

07-30-2005 12:21 Jaydo is offline Send an Email to Jaydo Homepage of Jaydo Search for Posts by Jaydo Add Jaydo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jaydo: Ja Vi M K S YIM Account Name of Jaydo: daggerjaydo View the MSN Profile for Jaydo
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
ROMNation Community Forums » All Guitar Tabs » Guitar Talk » i think im getting bored of guitar.