ROMNation Community Forums
Register Calendar Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

ROMNation Community Forums » All Guitar Tabs » Guitar Talk » thumb placement » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page thumb placement  
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ezee G
g)

Registration Date: 08-26-2003

thumb placement Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Is it wrong to have a "grabby" thumb when you're playing? I've read in books that you are supposed to have your thumb pressed firmly along the back of the neck of the guitar when holding chords, but I find it extremely uncomfortable, and hard to get the chords right. When I'm playing my thumb is usually hanging off the side a little, so that I could grab the E string (which I do when I'm playing chords like D, so that I dont strum the E) Is this bad technique? Or is there really a right way to place your thumb for the best playing? And the next question is whats the best way to play chords that are only 5 string? Does it just come with practice? I always find myself stumming the E by accident.
06-13-2005 16:57 Ezee G is offline Send an Email to Ezee G Search for Posts by Ezee G Add Ezee G to your Buddy List
birdcat $posts[username] is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1044.jpg

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I also don't use 'proper thumb placement'. First pic is how yer supposed to, the second is how I do it, more or less.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/birdcat/Untitled-1.jpg

06-13-2005 22:29 birdcat is offline Send an Email to birdcat Homepage of birdcat Search for Posts by birdcat Add birdcat to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of birdcat: burdcat3
Anti Bluz $posts[username] is a male
c)

images/avatars/avatar-810.gif

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

most bluz jazz and steal string guitar is supposed to be held like in the 2nd pic there, lots of Gibson guitars tend to have fatter necks because the players prefer to hold ther guitar like that

but flamenco and think classical too, hold it like in the 1st pic. flamenco and classical guitar have thinner necks, more suited for fretting the guitar that way.

personlay I try to keep my thumb square in the middle of the neck like in the 1st pic. I realy notice you get a lot more stability and reach. I realy don't see the sense in holding it the other way???? although to each his own.
06-14-2005 07:13 Anti Bluz is offline Send an Email to Anti Bluz Search for Posts by Anti Bluz Add Anti Bluz to your Buddy List
chronowarp $posts[username] is a male

images/avatars/avatar-945.jpg

Registration Date: 04-13-2005

A firmer thumb grip allows easier barring, and fretting on the low E with your thumb if necessary.

06-26-2005 07:55 chronowarp is offline Send an Email to chronowarp Search for Posts by chronowarp Add chronowarp to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of chronowarp: vexedunderdog View the MSN Profile for chronowarp
bloodthirsty
d)

images/avatars/avatar-497.gif

Ive seen guitarists hold guitars like the second pic aswell, like guitarists in bands, and so do I Big Grin Actually I place my thumb halfway down but its still bent.

This post has been edited $posts[editcount] time(s), it was last edited by $posts[editor] on 06-26-2005 09:30.

06-26-2005 09:17 bloodthirsty is offline Send an Email to bloodthirsty Search for Posts by bloodthirsty Add bloodthirsty to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
ROMNation Community Forums » All Guitar Tabs » Guitar Talk » thumb placement